Amigos In the Community
Volunteer opportunityAmigos in the Community is a local Peterborough project that intentionally matches youth with an intellectual disability (Amigo Participant) with a volunteer peer (Amigo Connector) to pursue recreation and leisure activities on a bi-weekly basis. Amigo Connectors help to connect Amigo Participants to their greater community based on similar interests.
Currently seeking volunteer Amigo Connectors:
- Aged 18-30 years old
- Who enjoy meeting new friends
- Believe in inclusion for all
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities an asset, but not required
Expectations:Meet every 2 weeks with your Amigo to participate in an activity or outing in the community that helps the Amigo Participant to further their recreational or leisure interests or goals.
Communicate every other week via telephone, email etc.
What we provide:
- Ongoing support from our Community Coordinator
- Training in building relationships, communication skills
- Monthly activity stipend of $30 to help cover costs of activities.
- Planned group get-togethers with all Amigos every few of months
What you get:
- The knowledge that you are helping to build a stronger, more inclusive community, and directly impacting someone’s life in a positive way!
- A great resume builder showing employers or educational institutions that you have solid skills in communication, working with diverse populations, advocacy, leadership, empathy, initiative among many others.
To apply or get more information contact:
Krista Brailey, Amigos in the Community Coordinator
Last Updated (Monday, 15 November 2010 10:01)